Powered By Blogger

WELCOME TO...............

Total Pageviews

Friday, August 6, 2010

The Profency Part One

Intro: Hi I'm Rex an ordinary teenage guy who is really good at fencing, archery , and other outdoor activities like climbing trees. I lived most of my life outside of USA until now. I now go to high school with my friends Maggie and James and live with my uncle and cousin James. I also work in the museum in our school.

Chapter 1

English class has always been difficult for me because I traveled all over the world learning almost all the languges everywhere I went. Today we were supposed to hand in a report on the movie Avatar The Last Airbender. Here is the report I handed in :The movie was fair. Big sigh. Where do I start? Well let's start at the sticking point that everyone has had with this movie. In case you missed it, a lot of noise has been made because Noah Ringer (Aang), Nicola Petlz (Katara) and Jackson Rathbone (Sokka) are White actors cast in the roles of Inuit and Asian characters. While I didn't like the fact that they white washed 3 of the main characters it was not that much of a distraction, especially once they left the Southern Water Nation. The biggest problem with these actors is that they sucked. I found the mispronunciation of Aang, Sokka and Iroh (mispronounced as Ong, Sukka and Earro respectively) unbelievably distracting, especially as the whispers in the theater acknowledged the mispronunciation several times. This was the equivalent of calling Bruce Wayne Brice Wong. In addition, his version of the material left no time for character building. Without character building how do we understand why they care for each other or get to the point where we care about the characters?The amazing martial arts (Tai Chi, Northern Shaolin, Hung Gar and Ba Gua Zhang) that the element bending of each nation is based on was weak and rare. Shyamalan decided that the firebenders actually needed fire to be present for them to fire bend then changed his mind in the end. Aang's airbending left much to be desired. Katara didn't really need to learn waterbending, but still wasn't good at it. And while they did include Zuko as the Blue Spirit, the amazing firebending that he did in the series was left wanting (they did show him sparing and Dev Patel was good). Not to mention the imprisoned earthbenders that made no attempt to escape despite being surrounded by earth instead of metal. It also would have been nice to see more of Damon Gupton (Master Gyatso) but there wasn't time for that either. 'The Last Airbender' definitely has an extremely diverse cast but once again the 3 White main characters spoiled. I got an A on it but I'm not sure how?
To be continued...........................

No comments:

Post a Comment